Monday, July 24, 2006

FROGGY….My Protector and Door Warden


In August of 2004 I returned home from Duke Medical Center in Durham, NC. I had undergone brain surgery (which was a great success) and was about to start 6 weeks of rest and recovery in my little house.

My family and friends gathered ‘round and I wanted for nothing. I was a very lucky gal. There’s nothing like a serious brush with mortality to bring life into focus. However, what I didn’t know was that I had a non-human protector, also.

My son-in-law was the one who spied Froggy first. I have a small wooden bird house that resides on the wall of my house beside the back door. It is strictly decorative and, to my knowledge, has never housed a bird. But there he was...my very own little tree frog peeking out from the entrance to the bird house. He seemed perfectly at home and he remained there for the entire time that I was recuperating.

I did a bit of research and found that he was a Gray Tree Frog (Hyla versicolor). They spend most of their time in the tops of trees and it was actually quite a treat to have him close enough to observe. I would greet him every morning and check on him during the day. He seldom left his perch so I could only assume that he hunted for food at night.

The strange thing was that he remained with me the entire time of my recovery. When I was once again able to get out on a regular basis and to drive the car he started to disappear for varying lengths of time and then, suddenly, one day he was gone for good

I guess it's silly to grieve the loss of a tree frog...but I couldn‘t help it. Imagine my surprise and delight when he returned in the summer months of 2005. The little bird house became his abode once more. He didn‘t remain very long but it felt like he was checking me out.

And now it is 2006 and, yes...you guessed it...he‘s appeared again!! I‘ve just spied him twice this year but both times he has been on (not in) the bird house. Is it the same little Froggy? I’ll never know, but, I prefer to think that it is and that he can once again resume his wanderings, secure in the knowledge that I am fine and that I will call for him if needed.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that is just the coolest thing. When I lived in Missouri I use to have a toad that lived under the front porch. Hung around for about two years. I named him "Fred" for some reason. Could have been a "Julie" for all I know.

Perhaps next time the frog shows up you could run out and kiss it and see if it is a magical frog? :)

I thought about kissing "Fred" but then I got to thinking...What if "Fred" was a Prince in shining armour. I could have handled a "Princess" in some sort of negligee but otherwise "No Thanks"!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Alan: Why didn't I think of that? Maybe he was waiting to be kissed all the time and just gave up. Darn! I lost the chance of a lifetime...and here I am...blogging away instead of traveling the world with my prince charming. !!

7:14 AM  
Blogger goldenlucyd said...

Hi Ginnie!
Oh how I hated to miss your posts. I was in computer hell for almost 3 days. Lord knows it's time for a new machine!

As usual, your last three posts were wonderful. A tear-jerker, good laughs and a whole lot of wisdom. That froggie is a cutie. Perhaps he left to go a' courtin'. So now it appears things might not have worked out---you know how tempermental these mouse ladies can be!

1:28 PM  
Blogger goldenlucyd said...

Me again. Re Alan's reference to Fred/Julie: Do you imagine there might be toad-sexers---you know, like chicken-sexers? Not a job for me though--even with rubber gloves.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had never heard of tree frogs until today! Trust your blogger friends to teach you things.
A suggestion, next time he comes, kiss him! Just in case ;)

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, as an RN I say bravo to you on such a great recuperation from major surgery. You certainly do have great stamina.
And what a sweet story about the tree frog. Oh, I have no doubt he's keeping an eye out on you, making sure you're doing okay. Great story...I really enjoyed it.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Thanks, Terri: My stoic New England heritage, plus 17 years of practising the spiritual steps of AA, put me in a good place to undergo the surgery. My neurogsurgeon told me that it was my attitude that made the recovery such a breeze. Thanks for the comments.

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home