Friday, July 21, 2006

SOMEONE CUT OUT THE CROSSWORD PUZZLE !!


Growing older does not mean that my mental abilities will automatically be decreased. I used to think that was the case; but, research and my own experiences have taught me otherwise. Maintaining an active mind is the key to staving off mind loss and Alzheimer’s, say the experts.

I have two favorite mental exercises that I practice every day...one of them is reading. I listened recently to an authority on sleeplessness and he stated that one should never read in bed. I guess his reasoning was that reading would stimulate the mind and tend to keep the reader awake. It acts precisely the opposite way for me and the last thing I do every night is read a chapter or two. It works better than a sleeping pill.

That’s why I always have two or more books that I’m reading at the same time. I have my daytime stimulator and my evening “snooze-maker”

My second exercise is the crossword puzzle. I go to the AARP Magazine site on my computer and print out their daily puzzle. This version is just hard enough to be fun without having to pull out the dictionary. I do this in bed also...first the puzzle and then the book. I'm definitely a creature of habit.

I don’t like to think that I have an obsession to working crossword puzzles but an unsolved one, wherever I find it, is definitely a lure. That’s why I had to laugh when I saw this cartoon. I remember so clearly being stuck in a Doctor’s office, waiting to be worked in and knowing I would be the last patient of the day. I spied the local paper and was comforted by the fact that I could while away the time by doing the crossword puzzle. When I opened the paper and found that the puzzle had been cut out I almost cried with frustration.

Joseph Addison has said, “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body”. I would add crossword puzzles to that. They are both part of a mental playground where I can romp to my heart’s content.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl with those mental exercises. I was terrible with crosswords but mom and her hubby did them for years and years. They even had two papers delivered so that every morning they would each have one to work on.

The people I know who work them are passionate about them. They don't talk about them in public all that much - but don't show up for coffee first thing in the morning at their house. No-siree! :)

7:22 AM  
Blogger goldenlucyd said...

Reading is my addiction. Crossword puzzles are my daughter-in-law's. We both get very testy if we are faced with withdrawal. I certainly related to this post! Thanks.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, Ginnie! I also use night time reading as a way to "wind down" and get drowsy for sleep and it IS just as effective for me as a sleeping pill is for others. I had an old Romanian patient once tell me that I'd live to be "very old" because I'm able to clear my mind at night by reading and get a good night's sleep. (We shall see if she was right...lol)
My husband does the crossword puzzel every day that's in USA Today....I think he IS addicted to it, but that's not a bad addiction.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home