Sunday, July 23, 2006

THEGOODOLDAYS.....LIDDLELAMZYDIVEY


I’ve just discovered something about myself and I don’t like it! I’m a “music snob”.
I haven’t really given the music of today a chance. How could I when I’ve been stuck in the mind-set that only the tunes of the “good ol’ days” were worth listening to? After all, we could understand the words back then, couldn‘t we?
Well, I’m here to tell you that my eyes have been opened. It happened like this: I decided to prove my theory about the “better music days” and this is just a small sampling of the music that I had (conveniently) forgotten:
1.) “Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey, a kiddley divey too, wouldn’t you? If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey, sing …mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.”
2.) “Oh, the flat foot floogie with a floy, floy…..yeah, yeah, yeah, byah, oh, baby! ….flat foot floogie with a floy, floy, ….floy, floy, floy, yeah! Send me on out there!”
3.) “Cement mixer, putty, putty……a puddle o’ vooty, a puddle o’ gooty, a puddle o’ Scooby, a puddle o’ veet concrete. First you get some gravel, pour it on the vout. To mix a mess o’ mortar you add cement and water. See the mellow roony come out slurp, slurp, slurp.”
And of course we can’t forget this classic by the Andrews Sisters:
4.) “Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillerah and a brawla, brawla sooit……..Now the Rawlson is a Swedish town, the rillerah is a stream, the brawla is the boy & girl, the Hut-Sut is their dream. Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillerah,… etc., etc. ”
‘nuff said…I guess you get the idea!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but, of course, OUR silliness makes perfect sense to US...good point, ginnie.

if it's any consolation, i've been blogging 5 months and still struggle with pictures, typelists, etc. it is a one-post-at-a-time kind of thing, i guess.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still giggling! Yes, you quite made your point!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got to love the sisters....

I've got the greatest hits album of both the Andrews Sisters and also their predecessors, the McGuire Sisters.

Enjoyed the translation though!

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your blog. Came by way of Island Writer who had very nice things to say about it and she was right.

It is funny how intolerant we are of the music of today. Ofcourse sometimes it is beyond tolerance. I was standing on a corner the other day, when a car with its radio blasting stopped for a red light. As the car literally bounced with the noise, I heard two phrases over and over. . Be afriad, M....F.... Be afraid M....F.... Be afraid. I am not sure the song actually had more words because the car sped off. All I can say is Lambs eat Ivy sounds so so safe and innocent.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Maria. Except that 'Gangsta Rap', 'Hip Hop'etc. cannot possibly be called 'music' by any stretch of the imagination.

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...so maybe those words were silly, but I also agree with Maria.
Give me THOSE songs any day! To actually understand and hear the words was what that music was all about!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Josh Max's blawg said...

Dear Ginnie--

I'm putting in a plug here on your blog for my Great Uncle Al Hoffman, who along with Jerry Livingston and Milton Drake, came up with that head-bangin' hit best known by the Merry Mac's version---Mairzy Doats!

The Hut Song rawks, too...

Love your blog.

XOXOXO Josh

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home